Between the marble mountains of the Apuane Alps and the Apennines of northern Tuscany Italy lies the hidden gem of the Garfagnana Valley. This enchanting region offers a rich variety of spectacular hiking together with renowned hospitality and flavours. Join us on a walking holiday or hiking tour along the ancient trails of this timeless landscape, hiking over the towering peaks overlooking the sea or trekking along the horizon of Tuscany's alluring mountains with a small group of like-minded adventurers.
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!
This whole week met and far exceeded my expections. I can’t recommend this trip enough. A relaxing change for the seasoned trekker or a great introduction for the uninitiated. I enjoyed everything – amazing accommodation, great food, good walking, great guide.
Elizabeth Norton, Colchester, UK
Hiking holiday in Wild Tuscany (moderate)
Hiking holiday includes:
- 5 day hikes (Grade 4 – 5) with qualified local guides
- 7 nights accommodation in a traditional farmhouse with pool
- Alpine villages and ancient mule tracks, rocky ridges and sensational peaks
- Superlative food: from traditional Tuscan cuisine to modern gourmet delights.
- Free day to explore Lucca
- Wine Tasting
- Small group size. Maximum:11
The hikes are challenging, circular routes involving ascents of up to 1000 metres and lasting from 5 – 8 hours.
Hiking Holiday in Wild Tuscany Cost: from €995
- Based on 2 people sharing a room. There is a supplement for a single room. Please enquire.
- Airport pick-up arranged to suit the majority of the party. Taxis can be arranged for late arrivals at an additional cost.
- Moderate hike equipment list.
Hiking Holiday in Wild Tuscany Dates
23 May – 30 May 2020
30 May – 6 June 2020
6 June – 13 June 2020
12 September – 19 September 2020
19 September – 26 September 2020
26 September – 3 October 2020
*updated 2 October ’19
Tuscany Skyline Trek (challenging)
This hiking holiday includes:
- 6 days guided trekking (Grade 6 – 7) with qualified local guides.
- 4 nights in manned mountain refuges.
- 3 nights in a traditional farmhouse with pool.
- Jaw-dropping point to point treks along the ridges and crests, meadows and trading routes of Italy.
- Sunset/night walk in the Apennines.
- Tuscany’s highest peak, Monte Prado 2054m
- Small groups. Maximum: 10
Two short point to point treks across two of Italy’s ranges, staying in mountain refuges so that you can enjoy the awesome views of the sea and the solitude and wildness of the ridgeline to the full. You need a confident head for heights and a good level of fitness because the treks last from 6 – 9 hours and you will be carrying all you need for 3 days at a time.
Skyline Trek Dates 2020
18 July – 25 July 2020 (7 places available)
22 August – 29 August 2020 (7 places available)
Tuscany Skyline Trek Cost: €1040
- Airport pick-up will be arranged to suit the majority of the party. Taxis can be arranged for late arrivals at an additional cost.
- Challenging hike equipment.
Accommodation and Food
While you are at Col di Lavacchio, we provide all food as for the Walking in Wild Tuscany holiday (see below) including a hearty breakfast, a healthy lunch and a 3 course dinner with wine.
In the rifugios breakfast, a picnic lunch and a 3 course dinner are provided. The food is tasty traditional mountain food (eg prosciutto and cheese, soup, pasta and stews). Drinks can be bought at extra cost. In addition we supply some supplementary goodies to provide much needed energy during the trek. As a rough estimate €10/day should be enough for a couple of drinks.
You will have use of the pool and facilities at Col di Lavacchio Agriturismo including the washing machine on the Wednesday morning.
Your 3 nights at our agriturismo are based on 2 people sharing. A single room is available on payment of a supplement.
Accommodation for the 4 nights on the mountain is in bunk rooms which have a capacity of between 3 to 12 beds in each room. Showers may be available (sometimes at extra cost) depending on availability of water.
The accommodation was lovely and comfortable, set in the hills with a delightful view to rolling hills in the day and twinkling lights in the evening from the town below. The food was delicious and we were provided with gourmet packed lunches for each walk!
The walks themselves were lovely, taking us along tracks through old woods of beech and chestnut and arriving at peaks with more outstanding views across the mountains and towards the sea. Some wonderful memories, I would not hesitate to recommend it to a friend.
Food on your Walking Holiday
One of the highlights of any trip to Tuscany or indeed anywhere in Italy is the food. Using our own organic produce, our menus will sustain you through the week of activity and startle you with extraordinary flavours.
Typical daily menu
- Breakfast: Homemade granola, yoghurt, fresh fruit and Col di Lavacchio honey; scrambled eggs; homemade bread and an assortment of jams. Coffee, tea, fruit juice or infusions.
- Lunch: Spelt salad with roast vegetables and harissa, bread, fruit, cheese, chocolate brownie, muffin
- Dinner: Gazpacho with home made crusty bread. Herb crusted perch with rosti potatoes, pea puree and garden vegetables. Rhubarb and orange compote with vanilla ice cream and ginger shortbread. Local wines are served with dinner. There is a mini bar with drinks, savoury and sweet snacks as well as a regular trip to a Gelateria.
All dietary requirements can be taken into account.
- 7 Breakfasts
- 5 Picnic lunches
- 5 Dinners
*On the free day only breakfast is served. On one other evening we eat out in Barga. A budget of €15 – €40 for a restaurant meal should be enough for a sumptuous meal.